2905 Liebs Island Road,
Millersport, Ohio 43046
3,100-acre Buckeye Lake is designated as an unlimited horsepower lake, but pontoons, sailboats, canoes and rowboats are also common. Nine launch ramps provide access to the lake (some may be closed during dam reconstruction) and 135 seasonal docks are available to rent. Local marinas offer fuel and other items for sale.
Two boat/swim/camp areas are also available.
Anglers enjoy fine catches of perch, bluegill, crappie, muskellunge, largemouth bass, channel catfish and bullhead catfish. As early as 1891, the “Buckeye Fish Car,” a state operated railroad car, transported crappie and bass from Lake Erie to stock Buckeye Lake. In the 1930’s, as many as 1,000 boats a day were crappie fishing on the lake. A valid Ohio fishing license is required.
Some fishing access may be closed during dam reconstruction.
the entire lake is open to waterfowl hunting in season. Waterfowl blinds are available at Buckeye Lake by lottery.
Four picnic areas with tables and grills are situated in quiet spots overlooking the lake. Three large shelters are available for reservation online or by calling (866) 644-6727. Mini shelters are available on a “first come, first served” basis.
Beach Closures – To help ensure the safety of our visitors during construction, the swimming beaches at Brooks Beach, Crystal Beach and Fairfield Beach are closed. We apologize for any inconvenience. [5/22/2015]
Under the proper conditions, park visitors can enjoy ice skating, cross-country skiing, ice fishing, and ice boating.
More to Do
In order to provide interconnecting waterways for a growing state, a canal system was developed in the early 1800’s. The system required feeder lakes to supply the water necessary to maintain the four-foot canal water level. Because of their location, areas such as St. Marys, Indian Lake, Lake Loramie, Guilford and Buckeye lakes were to be developed as part of the project.The canal project was formally started by Governor Jeremiah Morrow on July 4, 1825 in a special ceremony near Newark. In attendance was New York’s DeWitt Clinton, the father of the Erie Canal. Ohio’s canal system was becoming a reality.
Construction of the dike blocking drainage into the South Fork of the Licking River began in 1826 and was completed in 1830, forming the Licking Summit Reservoir which would eventually become Buckeye Lake. Before impoundment, the forests were not cleared leaving large tracts of timber and brush emergent in the newly formed lake.
As the water level rose, several large mats of sphagnum moss broke loose from the bottom and became “floating islands”. Other islands were created because the land was above the water level.
During the canal era, canal boats traveled along the original western end of the lake. This lake however, was not large enough to supply the necessary water for the canal so it was enlarged. Later, in order to provide an even larger amount of water, another lake was developed north and west of the original one. A dike, known as “Middle Wall”, separated the Old Reservoir and New Reservoir. This dike was used as a towpath for the canal.
With the advent of railroads, the canal system became outdated. Many miles of canal fell into disuse and were abandoned or sold. In 1894, the General Assembly of Ohio set a policy whereby the feeder reservoirs were established as public parks. At that time, the name of Licking Summit Reservoir was changed to Buckeye Lake.
By 1900, there were numerous cottages and several amusement parks around Buckeye Lake. In the early 1900’s, as recreational use increased and power boats became popular, the “North Bank” was reinforced and the “Middle Wall” removed. Development continued around the lake. During the 1940s and 50s, many folks traveled to the Buckeye Lake Amusement Park to see big-band stars, dance and picnic.
In 1949, when the Ohio Department of Natural Resources was created, the area officially became Buckeye Lake State Park.
At one time, the ground now known as Buckeye Lake was swampland resulting from glaciation. Thousands of years ago the glaciers moved south across Ohio altering drainage systems and landscape. Natural lakes, known as kettles, were created when huge chunks of ice broke off the glacier and melted in depressions. Other lakes were formed when the glacier blocked existing water outlets. As time progressed, clay and silt settled out of the still water into the bottom of the lakes.Today as we study the landscape, we can learn of the old lake locations by the nature of the underlying clay and silt. The large area of fine clay sediment in the Buckeye Lake region indicates that the glacial lake was broader than the present man-made lake.
When the white man began settling in Ohio, only a few of the ancient lakes remained. They were shallow and swampy, and more correctly classified as bogs or marshes. Explorer Christopher Gist, while traveling the Scioto-Beaver Trail just south of Buckeye Lake, camped by the watery bog’s edge. In 1751, he named the area Buffalo Lick or Great Swamp in his journal. The Great Swamp included two long narrow ponds that were joined during high water. A considerable part of the wetland was a cranberry-sphagnum bog. Cranberry Bog, a state nature preserve and a National Natural Landmark, is situated in Buckeye Lake. When the lake was impounded in 1826, Cranberry Bog broke loose from the bottom and became a floating island which may conceivably be the only one of its kind in the world. Most of the island is an open sphagnum moss meadow with an abundance of cranberries and pitcher plants making the area a naturalist’s delight. Access to the island is by permit only from the ODNR Division of Natural Areas and Preserves.
Buckeye Lake’s shoreline offers excellent habitat for waterfowl. Good bird-watching opportunities exist especially during the spring and fall migrations. One of the state’s largest great blue heron rookeries is situated on adjacent private land, but the birds can often be seen in the park.
Hebron Fish Hatchery is located just north of Buckeye Lake on Canal Road. Administered by the ODNR Division of Wildlife, the area is open to the public. The ponds, trails and woodlots at the area provide excellent bird-watching opportunities. Over 250 species of birds have been recorded at the hatchery
Buckeye Lake Historical Society museum, in the Village of Buckeye Lake, opened in 1998. Please stop in and view the huge collection of Buckeye Lake Park memorabilia. The Historical Society covers Perry, Licking, and Fairfield counties, including the communities of Hebron, Millersport and Thornville along with Buckeye Lake
Dawes Arboretum is a non-profit private foundation engaged in scientific education in horticulture, natural history and arboretum history. The arboretum is open from dawn to dusk everyday except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. Dawes is located on State Route 13 just north of I-70 near the east-end of Buckeye Lake. For information call 614-323-1255
Full Panoramic view
Click the center to view it you can look up, down, and zoom in. Try it… enjoy!